The little differences

2:03 a. m.

( 2 ) Comments

"It's the little differences. I mean they got the same shit over there that they got here, but it's just - it's just there it's a little different. - Vincent (Pulp Fiction)"

That's one of my favorite movie quotes and I think it's suitable for my trip to The States. It's about having that feeling all the time, everything it’s the same, but a little different. Here are some examples:

Straws: They drink everything with a straw, even water many times, and not only in fast food restaurants but anywhere.

Cups: It’s kind of hard to get glass cups… you’ll normally get plastic or paper cups in many places, glass is just for really fancy restaurants.

Free refills: That’s a great idea… c’mon Spanish bartenders, why don’t you copy that? And free water too!!

Beer: In many place they won't ser beer or any other alcoholic drinks... well I think that beer + free refills would be a dangerous combination...

Bills: When you’re in a bar or restaurant you’ll get the bill facing down, I think that’s useful in case you want to invite the other person, good idea.

Tips: You have to tip in the States… I hate that, I don’t like to tip, I want the tip included in the price, and I don’t like to think how much tip I have to leave or anything.

Fans: People have ceiling fans at their places, we don’t, we have air conditioning, and if we don’t we use a fan that stands up in a pole.

Shops: Some friend told me that people who work in Spanish shops are mean, and now I understand why. In the states they will start chasing you as soon as you enter the shop, “Hello, how are you doing? Oh, I LOVE that shirt where did you get it?”… I just HATE that, I just prefer the way they’re here, thy just won’t talk to you unless you say something to the first… that’s the way!

Water towers: we just don’t have that things, and if we do I haven’t seen them

Cars: HUGE cars or pickups… especially in small towns, it’s really normal to see Hummers around, in Spain you rarely see this kind of cars.

I guess the list could be longer but these are the first things I could think of, so the ones that most shocked to me.

I would like to some American who’s been living in Spain to do the same kind of list but in the opposite way, I think that would be interesting, if you do it, just let me know and I’ll post it here! ;)

2 Responses to " The little differences "

Anónimo said :
10:26 p. m.
David, you're so right, you don't realize there are differences till you travel really far. And the things that you point out are things that I have missed tremendously (Except the water towers, we don't have those in western Canada). If it makes you feel better, I will soon compile a list of things that I have noticed about Spain.
MaRiNa said :
12:50 p. m.
Jo no t'en puc dir d diferencies perque no hi he estat mai. Però els petits detalls són el que més m'agraden dels viatges, coses que fins que no les veus no se t'aguessin acudit mai.

Publicar un comentario